Re: [IPk] ketone testing

>However, if you have a hypo - perhaps a long mild nocturnal hypo that you
>didn't know about - the body will also produce ketones, not because it's
>short of insulin, but because it's short of glucose. I don't fully
>understand this, and I only learnt about this a few years ago, but it is a
>useful tool. So if you wake with a normal or high bg, and feel rough, and
>there are ketones in your urine, it *may* indictae that you had a hypo
>during the night. Room for investigation.

I never knew about this either till Elizabeth posted about this yesterday.
I can kind of see the usefulness.

>So I vote for having ketone testing strips in the bathroom. I tested for
>ketones back in the late 1970's - the good old days of Clinitest. But then
>it went out of fashion. But since going on the pump, I test occasionally
>when I want to get a clearer picture of what's going on. What I would like
>are individually wrapped strips, so I can keep a few with my kit, without
>taking up too much space. Anyone know if you can get them?

>I disagree with the med pro you met at the conference, Di, and with
>Michael. A ketone test in certain situations furnishes you with extra
>information, and will encourage you to act rapidly, rather than just soon.

>Ketones by meter? I guess if you are visually impaired, a meter display may
>be easier to read than a faint colour on a strip.

Well it also means you can do a blood test instead of having to pee on a
stick, which I find impossible to do!!! Also, you get individually wrapped
strips, and you use the same meter to test your BG and your ketones, so not
much to carry around.