Re: [IPk] ketone testing

I too use ketone sticks, to test for lows.  Through the night, I usually
rebound, so I've kind of given up looking for ketones (I know what the
problem is, I know the solution is the pump).

I also found them useful when I went low so often that I became hypo
unaware: sometimes I detected lows by feeling sick from the ketones.  I
would measure my bgs, and it would be in the normal range (as it
normally was at that time of the day) but the ketone strip would show
that I'd been hypo (and therefore could be expect to be low again, or
high, within the hour. Bg tests every so often would show me whether I
needed to eat or inject insulin.

Since stopping overdosing on ultratard (why any doctor, who I told my
problem was a v. strong differential in insulin needs through 24 hrs
would suggest U. as a suitable insulin, only the gods know - I remain
convinced that Actrapid is the best basal insulin, for me.  It's just a
nuisance that it would have to be injected in the small hours!)

The news is my Dr is finally getting his clinic organized.  I remain
disappointed by his fund raising efforts, and his unwillingness to
recognise my professional skills.  If he treats me like this, how does
he treat the others who might have something to contribute to my
diabetes management?  What else might I be missing out on, through his
inability to spot his own weaknesses, and bring in outside help?

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)