[IPk] ketone testing

I got into an interesting discussion about ketone testing at the weekend
with someone who has type I diabetes, is on a pump, and is also a medical
professional (in the US), and who thought ketone testing was a waste of

Personally I never test for ketones (mainly because I can't read the visual
strips), but I've always thought it seems like a sensible thing to do.
Medisense have now brought out a new meter that tests for both BG and
blood ketones, which seems like a great idea, but maybe it's just a
marketing ploy. After all, if your BG is high, and doesn't come down, you
know you're in trouble anyway, and anyone with a reasonable amount of
intelligence would be aware of when the time to start getting worried
would be.
Personally, I'd like to know just for curiosity's sake (a bit like testing
when you know you're hypo, just out of curiosity to see the exact figure),
but I wonder if anyone has any compelling reasons why it's really
necessary. I've never tested for ketones in 21 years of diabetes, and have
never had DKA, though I've had plenty of high BGs.