[IPk] Re: frequency of testing in general

----- Original Message -----
From: Carmel Matthews <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2000 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [IPk] pregnancy and diabetes

> Some the women I looked after did not seem to grasp
> the implications of good glucose control, for a start they only monitored
> three times a day
>

> 3 times a day is barely enough for anyone yet most GPs seem to think twice
a day is fine. The consultant I see said that a couple of years ago a
disgruntled GP wrote to him complaining that a IDDM patient was "testing 4
times a day- surely expensive and unecessary"
I find such a callous uncaring attitude apalling I thought that  most people
now would accept 4 times a day as the minimum. I hope this GP isn't someone
I know- I'm sure he goes on hypocritically telling people with DM they can
lead a normal life- work, drive,sport etc and can stay healthy if they "look
after themselves" while being reluctant to provide even the minimum standard
of care and allow people to ensure it is safe for them to do the above.