Re: [IPk] pregnancy and diabetes

I am not at all surprised at this. I had my children at a centre of
excellence betwweeen 1980 and 1987. During this time I was given extremely
good care and was closely monitored throughout following a devastating time
in my 3rd pregnancy - not DM related, I hasten to add. I went back to
midwifery and as I was particularly interested in caring for the care
Diabetic women received in pregnancy and that the outcome became a live
healthy mother and baby. Some the women I looked after did not seem to grasp
the implications of good glucose control, for a start they only monitored
three times a day at the same time they did have frequent HBa1c and
fructosamine levels but that was about it. It was difficult working under
those circumstances as a midwife because the Diabetic niurse always had the
overall say and the consultant was a man who would not listen and totally
unapproachable. I did approach him but all to no avail. I would say to any
n#mother embarking on a diabetic pregnancy, to have pre-pregnancy
counselling, and fully research the services available and the way diabetic
pregnancy is monitored at the hospital they attend. I really felt that these
woen were getting less care than I had 10 years earlier sorry to be so
pessimistic and this is onlymy experience and not research based. Carmel