[IPk] Re: infection from pump site

> >My brother, who lives in London, and used a pump for a couple of
> years
> >some 8-10 years ago, had to stop because of infections.
> >After miscellaneous minor infections, he eventually got a case of
> what
> >was described graphically in the tabloid press at the time, as
> >'flesh-eating' strep infection (I think).  He was critically ill
> with
> >this on two occasions, needed surgery to remove all infected tissue
> >etc.
> Gosh Nanette - how extraordinary! Does your brother have any other
> illnesses that impair his immune system? Certainly badly controlled
> diabetes weakens the immune system, as does stress and being an unfit
> couch
> potato. I do remember tabloid-tales about 10 years ago of
> flesh-eating
> super-bugs that had infected many hopsitals, and were resistant to
> all
> disinfectants. No idea what came of it all...
My brother does not have other known illnesses which impair his immune
system, does live with a fair bit of stress, but is no couch potato,
since he runs every morning, and did so at that time too.
One of the times he had this infection was actually no longer on the
pump, but using pens.  He now was advised to use only one-time syringes
to minimize the risks.
Evidently serious infections of this sort are rare - in a way this
makes it more important to remain alert to the fact that they are not
impossible, since the earlier they are treated the better.  Somehow one
has to steer the middle road between fearfully imagining that one could
land up with a serious infection at any moment, and assuming that this
is something which could only happen to others.

Do You Yahoo!?