No Subject

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:39:11 +0100
From: "Audrey Sheal, SE Grampian" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IPk] Recording results and starting the pump

I have been reading as much as possible so I know what to expect, but still
have a few questions:

*	Can you sunbathe with a pump on?  (Not generally an issue in
Aberdeen but still a concern!)
*	What happens when you go through security at an airport?

Any help or signposting would be gratefully appreciated!

Audrey Sheal
IDDM - 20 years

I have only been on a MiniMed pump since February this year and am still
having problems about wearing the pump etc.

I live in the Middle East where it is always hot so only wear thin dresses,
shorts etc.
I wear my pump all the time (except when swimming or diving) and haven't
found any problems with it in the sunshine.  I try and keep it in the shade
but wear it when walking along the beach etc.  Problems occur of where to
put it.  When I put it on my bikini bottom, it is heavy and it pulls the
bottom down!!  I usually put it on the bikini bottom strap at the side where
I can hold it in place whilst walking or running.  I can't play any sports
on the beach without taking it off (although I wouldn't play wearing it as
it may get sand into it).
I can't wear a sundress without a bra as I have to put the pump on a
strapless bra as there is nowhere else to put it.
Even with all these problems of where to wear the pump, I wouldn't be
without it and am prepared to put up with the nuisances!!  It makes diabetic
life much more bearable.

I have had a few stops at airports but have never had any problems.  I just
mention that it is an insulin pump and the security have let me pass through.

Good luck with the pump.