Re: [IPk] Re: Infection from pump site

> So sorry to hear of the pump infection.  Hope it will never recurr.
> This scared me a great deal when it was suggested that I go on the
> pump
< snip >
> and was advised to clean the
> skin with an alcohol wipe before inserting a new needle.

Alcohol has almost no sterilizing effect. You would be better off
using soap and water.

The recurring infection problems that some people have is caused by
bacteria which they carry in their nasal passages. A small but
significant number of people are carriers to these 'bugs' and they
are benign to them except when they get into a wound. You can be
tested to see if you are a carrier quite easily by your physician.
There are several people on the US mail list with this problem and
they had site problems until the source of the problem was
identified. The procedure to put in an infusion site needs to be
modified so there is always a "clean" field for all the things used
during insertion.

1) wash hands with soap and water, dry on a freshly washed towel or
paper towel (cleaner than laundered towels according to WHO).
Make sure not to touch your face -- we do this unconciously all the

2) place all items to be used on clean paper towel, draw insulin, get
everything ready for insertion -- be careful not to touch yourself,
sneeze, or touch your face.

3) prep the site with an iodine based disenfectant such as Providine
wipes and let dry, remove excess with alcohol wipe and let dry.

4) prep the site with a skin prep such as Smith & Nephew Skin Prep or
IV Prep -- or similar Bards Wipe

5) do the insertion as before

This procedure will pretty much eliminate recurring site infections.