Re: [IPk] Infection from pump site

----- Original Message -----
From: John Neale <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: [IPk] Infection from pump site

> >I have just come out of hospital after what they called "Life
> >threatening Septicemia" from an  site infection from the pump..
>
>  Are you going to intensify your
> site cleansing with chlorhexidine or something? Have they tested you for
> nasal staphylococcus aureus?
>

> --

> Sharon, your story is a bit frightening. I'm glad you're better now and
hope you've no further problems
I was told when "trained"  in pump usage that there is no need to use
disinfectants etc before inserting sets. American pump users seem to
disinfect and in my disetronic manual it states that this is necessary. What
were minimed users advised and what do other users do? I recently started
bying antibacterial handwash but wonder wether I should use chlorhexidine or
hibiscrub and how to obtain this. I was always lead to believe that you
can't completely eliminate bacteria from skin and that using chemicals dries
and causes cracks thus predisposing to more infection