[IPk] New member yet not so new.

Hi everyone,

I think that the time has now arrived to make myself known to you all. I
have actually been a list member for more than 12 months, but not being a
pump user I have kept quiet in the background, but nevertheless taken a keen
interest  in all that has transpired.

On 1st March next year, I will have been on insulin for 50 year's, I am
partially sighted in one eye only, due to retinopathy and was completely
blind for 10  years prior to April 1986. Five years ago I also became a
Coeliac, more recently I have developed Angina and a slight leak from one
heart valve. It all sounds terrible but I am still on my feet and fighting
on. In the mid 1980's I experienced severe problems with Human insulin, I
changed back to Animal in 1990 but returned to Human in January 1998. Three
weeks later I had broken my right ankle in 3 places, this due to a severe
hypo, more followed.

Although I live in North Devon I attended a London Clinic for 32 years. It
was the Human insulin that forced me to change this arrangement, as I became
too poorly to continue making the journey to London and back. In 1983 or 4,
I had a consultation with Professor Harry Keen at Guy's, to seek the
possibility of pump therapy. He decided that it wasn't quite right for me at
the time, perhaps because I was more or less totally blind. He did however,
suggest that I keep in touch with progress. I asked to be kept updated by my
own clinic but somehow this did not happen.

So, as soon as I read the article in Balance about "Input" (May-June last
year) by John Davis, I immediately got in touch . We have kept in touch ever
since and last May my wife Yvonne and I met John and his wife Jane. It was a
very interesting and helpful meeting.

I asked my consultant about the possibility of pump therapy at the first
appointment after reading John's article, but it has taken until now to get
permission for a trial. I am pleased to tell you that since Monday 4th
September, my insulin has been administered by pump, a MiniMed. I have of
course experienced a few teething troubles but there is no doubt that I am
feeling better now than I have for a very long time. I trust that I will
improve even more as I settle down to the dramatic change of treatment and

I take this opportunity to thank you all for your letters, the information
has been a great help and I have learnt much by just reading the daily input
to the list. I am especially grateful to John Davis for all his help and to
John Neale for his mail articles. I have already spoken to John Neale and
exchanged mail privately.

Best wishes to you all.

Yours sincerely,

Barry Squire