Re: [IPk] Research Inquiry

It was very nice to meet some of you on Friday evening, and I'm sorry
that I had to leave (a case of two good things happening at the same
time).  I would like to continue the conversation on education, in

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>Moira wrote:
>> If I never checked after
>> the hour but always checked after two I would have the mistaken impression
>> I had perfect blood glucose all the time.
>Does anyone else ever do a whole bunch of tests after a meal to see what is
>Like, every 15 minutes for 3 hours?

Yes.  As John observed at the meeting, I am a data fanatic.

>You can get some very interesting results.

I get interesting results, too!  I've only done this a couple of times.
I found I go up very quickly, and then (bumpily) down (we are talking o-
level geography diagrams of chalk escarpments).

>Basically (for me anyway), the BG does not rise and fall in a nice
>flat curve, Even allowing for meter variation, you tend to get all
>kinds of little rises and falls along the way of the curve. This is
>one of the things that will be very itneresting to obcerve with the
>continuous BG monitor.

_Not_ a positive meeting with Dr. P. today - told that continuous BG
monitor may not work, and would be no use in finding out whether or not
most of my morning highs are due to rebounds, as you don't get the
results for 72 hours!!!!  (I did explain to him how it would show hypos,
even though it wouldn't wake me up!)

So ... we are going to fiddle with Monotard: up it (to see if morning
highs are caused by lack of insulin), and down it (to see if I'm right
about the hypos).  Not, of course at the same time!  And if neither
works?  Well, then we'll change insulins.

Ah well, I will stroke the cats, defrost some creamed leaks, and have a
go at designing a web-page on getting an NVQ in making a cup of tea.

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)