Re: [IPk] How long?

> I am currently looking into the possibility of changing from multi
> injection to a pump. I'm from N. Ireland and currently live and work
> in Nairobi. I would have to return to UK / Ireland to get "wired
> up".
I think there is a pump doc at a clinic in a city near you. Ask both
MiniMed and Disetronic for a referral. That could save you the travel
as well as provide nearby medical support. I corresponded with a
family last year that was located somewhere in Africa, but I do not
now recall where.

> I'm wondering how long it normally takes to get established and
> confident, i.e. how long would I need to plan to go home for?

Probably a week or two at the most. It can take up to 6 weeks to get
basal rates firmly established, however, you can handle most of it
yourself once you are familiar with the protocol.

Purchase the book "Pumping Insulin"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos
/ASIN/1884804772/qid%3D938099919/026-3175743-9199403

to familiarize yourself with all the details of bg management using a
pump.

> I would be very interested to hear of your experiences.
>
> Also, comments on which pump is populer with UK users and why.

Both pumps are excellent. They have only idiosyncratic differences.