Re: [IPk] Flu Jab

When I was diagnosed in Virginia in March of 1993, I left the hospital with
the knowledge that getting flu might mean dehydration, which would mean
hospitalisation in order to keep bgs under control. As I was on 'don't
adjust this yourself' isophane + 'here's a sliding scale' Regular, that
advice made sense. It was easier to get a flu jab every year than to face
the possibility of going to hospital, and not getting flu twice per year (as
I did pre-diagnosis) made winters far more pleasant! Though I could probably
weather the glycemic challenges of flu with my pump, I'd prefer not to feel
so ill. So I am getting my jab on Tuesday morning (9 hours from now).

Oh, a tip: in the US it's available over the counter but here you need a
prescription for an antihistamine called clemastine fumarate (brand name
Tavegil in the UK, Tavist-1 in the US). In the US it's the only OTC
stuffy/sniffly nose medication that doesn't say on the back of the packet
that peope with diabetes shouldn't take it. It's a 12-hour,
non-drowsy-but-no-caffeine one that seems to have no effect whatsoever on my
bgs. With clemastine fumarate, ibuprofen, herbal tea with honey, and lots of
sleep (which it helps facilitate) I conquer colds. Allergies are, of course,
much less annoying too. Fantastic stuff!

IDDM 10+ years; MiniMed pumper 7+ years