Re: [IPk] Hypos at Night

email @ redacted writes:

> Can any of you, who have had diabetes since they were a child, tell me
> whether
> you had, less, or no hypo
> awareness as a child but now wake if you are low?
> Sasha has never woken when she is low, we only know because she has a
> seizure
> or because we now have to
> test every night. In the past I have sometimes found her sound asleep and no
> signs of anything being
> wrong with levels of 2.4. rarely hot or sweaty.

As you know Jackie, I have had diabetes since I was 10 and my sister has had
it since she was 2.  My hypo awareness is more now than when I was a child.  I
think I was always sky high as a child anyway and it wasn't until I was about
18 that I had my first seizure.  This was around the time I had started to
 miss meals and not eat enough etc. With hypos during the night, some wake me up
because I am confused and my sheet will be wet with sweat but I have to
 literally drag myself out of bed to find my lucozade (if there's nothing next
 me) otherwise I will just go back to sleep and then this will definitely lead
a seizure.  My sister had seizures all the time as a child (I mean daily and
nightly) but that was due to her being on too much insulin and the doctors not
knowing enough.

So basically, if I wake up it is because the bed is damp and uncomfortable
and not anything else.  If I don't sweat first, I don't wake up and then I go
for the full-blown seizure.  I wonder how many people who have never had a
seizure, have ever gone low enough?  I know that I can still walk about with a
reading of 1.8 mmols but I think 1.5 and below is what makes me have a seizure.

D for 30 years (on Lantus)