Re: [IPk] Re: Hypos

I disagree. Many of my hypos while pumping have been far longer and lower
than on MDI.

And I also had hypo unawareness in my in-between-pumps period - not because
my control was tight (far from it), but because my BGs jumped around so
much that my body no longer knew what normal or dangerous was, so it just
accepted all levels as OK.

 From what I've gleaned through anecdotal evidence hypo unawareness tends
to be brought on by too tight control or by wildly bouncing BGs. It appears
that in both cases this situation needs to extend for some period before
unawareness occurs (and of course the time frame differs for everyone).
Prior to losing all hypo awareness, I found my symptoms were coming through
at progressively lower BG levels (4.0, then 3.5, then 3.0, then 2.5, then
nothing), so I am always somewhat alarmed when I drop low and don't feel it
these days (had a 1.9 this morning and felt hypo, but not *that* hypo...)
and tend to relax my control a bit for a week or so.

I've been told by two different endos and various diabetics that hypo
awareness can usually be reversed. If the cause has been tight control, as
Pat mentioned, control just needs to be relaxed a bit. If the cause has
been bouncing BGs, the control needs to be levelled out and brought down a bit.

And anyway, it is definitely not inevitable that hypo unawareness will
occur! Just like with the onset of complications, we are all different and
have different reactions, predispositions and genetic makeup.