Re: [IPk] Hypos

Hi Carmel,

What a time you are having!  Hopefully the latest antibiotics will do
the trick.

I and a number of others I know recognise the ability to solve all the
world's problems while hypo!  I think it's a variant of another effect:
the 'I'll just finish this' syndrome.  What I think happens is: as the
brain gets starved of energy, it starts to shut down some non-essential
bits and pieces, such as checking the environment (am I hungry?  is
there a tiger in those bushes?  Is that idiot really going to undertake
at 70 mph? Should I get the washing in?) Another thing to go is self-
censorship (yes, that idiot is undertaking, and I want to roll my window
down and explain how he will never have children, I would like to cuddle
the tiger, my lazy husband should get the washing in!).

I think what happens is that our attention is caught by the situation in
Palestine or whatever, and we come up with a solution ('Feed them to the
tigers!') which in our normal thoughts would get censored out ('What
tigers, and what about human rights?, and what would that solve,
anyway'), but we accept as the right answer.

Unfortunately, this is bad news for diabetics.  It tends to make us
finish getting the washing in, or looking for tigers, when we really
should be measuring our blood glucose and looking for the glucose
tablets.  I therefore recognise the desire to finish something as a
symptom of hypoglycaemia (third, after feeling shaky and having
disturbed vision).

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 2+)

message <email @ redacted>, Carmel Matthews
<email @ redacted> writes
>How enlightening it was to read John's analysis of hypos. Recently I
>experienced a severe hypo requiring paramedic assisstance (my husband cannot
>bring himself to administer Glucagon). This was my second since being on the
>pump. The first was my own fault due to over correction of a high. Since mid
>September I have been on 5 different antibiotics to treat cellulitis in my
>leg. As a result I have had really bizarre blood sugars and have therefore
>been overcorrecting highs in order to try to normalise my blood sugar to
>help fight infection.This coupled with having just got a new meter that
>today I found could have been under-reading my results culminated in a
>devastating hypo. Before I went unconscious i drank a glass of pure fruit
>juice  and whilst searching through the cupboard for Lucozade, I remember
>arguing with myself about eating a bar of chocolate (i ate 2) and the guilt
>of eating them (dieting) I also ate a few chocolate biscuits and put the
>kettle on all the time arguing with myself about how much weight I would put
>on. I remember seeing the kitchen through a curtain of bright lights. The
>news was on and I was going to solve all the world problems and I can
>remember planning it in my head but don't remember a word of it!! That is
>all I remember apart from waking up and seeing a paramedics bag on the
>kitchen floor!
>My analysis of this is that had there been someone there I would have had a
>great argument but as I was alone I had to put the world to right instead!
>It was lucky my husband decided to call home, as I don't know if I would
>have woken up. When I first got the pump I remember being told to take only
>15gms of High GI food to correct a low such as the orange juice. There is no
>way that amount of cho had any effect. I don't know how low it went but my
>husband said it was 2.7 when checked and he had found the Lucozade and
>started giving me some
>before I was given glucagon.
>I managed to see the DM team today after phoning up to ask for advice and am
>now on 2 further lots of antibiotics and the nurse  gave me 2 more One Touch
>Ultra meters! If anyone attends Barts ask the nurses for a meter. They have
>a cupbiard full!
>Best Wishes carmel
>who after 45 yrs type 1 is still perplexed- it is so easy to lose one's
>Find a cheaper internet access deal - choose one to suit you.

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)