Re: [IPk] Re: Hypos

In message <email @ redacted>, Steve Hargreaves
<email @ redacted> writes
 >That said,. even tho' I'm waiting for my call back to the hospital for my
>pump, what I've read on this thread has me a little worried. Can I expect to
>lose my hypo awareness?

Not if you don't want to.  It's rather complicated ....

Pump hypos are much shallower and easier to deal with than other hypos,
because they are NEVER caused by backlogged basal insulin (Carmel's hypo
is very unusual, and I would guess, drug-induced - in two and a half
years of pumping I have had two hypos which took more than 20g CHO to
bring me out (apart from those which were caused by the stupid operator
- when it took the amount of CHO I should have eaten in the first

Because pump hypos are easy (one glucose tablet is sometimes all it
takes!) some of us are happy to have frequent hypos as a side-effect of
lowered bgs overall, and so have more frequent hypos on the pump than we
would have tolerated on mdi.

Since multiple hypos can lead to hypo unawareness, yes, going on a pump
can cause unawareness .... but it's your choice!  And I've always found
hypo unawareness reversible by the simple procedure of avoiding hypos
for a couple of months (this was pre-pump).

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+)
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)