RE: [IPk] Talking of meters NOW Recording blood tests

 I couldn't manage Sasha's diabetes without about 6 or 7 BG tests a day. I
record each one. I also use
 each test to decide on how much insulin is needed for the next dose, or how
well that dose of insulin
 worked with that particular meal. I adjust the insulin based on current BG
levels, what the previous
 levels have been in the last few hours and what Sasha is about to eat, plus
taking into account what
 level of exercise Sasha might do in the next couple of hours. I suppose we
would also be looking at the
 last few days readings too to see if there were any particular tends or highs
or lows.

 My consultant (he who thinks that pumps are highly dangerous) always tells me
off for doing too many
 blood tests, so I have a separate book which I only put in some of the actual
tests results though they
 are the correct results. Sasha does most of them when she feels dizzy or odd,
because she hates
 feeling high or low. He also regularly used to say that Sasha's HbA1c is too
low, 6.3- 6.9, though he
 has given up telling us that now. I feel like asking him to try and keep
Sasha's bg levels within
 reasonable control for a couple of days only doing 3 or 4 tests a day!! He
usually tell us to lower the
 doses of insulin, but I know that if I do start cutting a unit here and there
that we don't get slightly
 higher levels all round and no hypos, but hugely raised levels that then need
correcting more often
 which makes things even less predictable. If I put in all the reading the
clinic just cant get their
 heads round it. We have some nice A4 sheets for recording levels on now and I
can see what's happening,
 there are spaces for notes. We keep another note book upstairs on the landing.
Sasha has no hypo
 awareness when asleep and never wakes up when she is low, just goes in to
seizures. So my husband and I
 have to get up at night and check nothing is amiss. We write messages in the
log book to save waking
 each other up and as my husband and I both check Sasha and maybe give extra
insulin or juice/Lucozade
 during the night record keeping is very important. We take turns every other
night on who gets up at
 2.30am. I often refer back in the log book to see just how much juice or
insulin we gave under similar

 We are using Insulatard twice a day, 12 hours apart and about 4 to 5 injections
of Novorapid. We are
 having much better results with MDI than with Mixtards and as soon as we added
a lunchtime injection it
 seemed to make things a lot more predictable. Though we would still like a pump
as we can never
accurately administer insulin with just a pen.

Must go and do a BG test soon.

Mum of Sasha aged 9