Re: [IPk] Talking of meters

In message <l03130305bbbd495c9ae9@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>>Well guys, I go back to the very beginning of this, but I may also have some
>>insight around Lifescan's plans. My first glucose test was the 'volcano', a
>>tablet in a test tube test (urine), which came up at different colours. In my
>>case it was always orange, not a great colour for an Irishman ! I got the
>>original glucometer in 1979 or so, along with a guillotine of a finger
>>pricker. Boy, you just don't know how easy you have it now!
>Do we really have it any better? Or are we simply more aware of our
>failings, but still unable to do anything about it???

I'd say _definitely_ better.  I have over-sensitive fingers (i.e. I am a
wimp) and the old lancets and lancet whangers prevented me from
measuring my bgs until I was on prescription painkillers for something
else.  And bg strips (and better still bg meters which are more
accurate) surely are better for many things than urine (a snapshot
rather than an average - what you want before driving a car, for
example, and a lot easier to see where to adjust your basal levels!)

The 'doing something about it' has lead many to look at changing basal
insulins, explore pumps, etc.

What hasn't changed, I think, is the sense of failure.  When I was
diagnosed, that orange urine test was failure.  Then a bg reading over
15 was failure.  Then a hba1c over 7 is failure.  I predict the day when
a single hypo will be 'failure' and be cause to remove a driving
licence.  Diabetes is when your body stops producing insulin and starts
producing guilt instead.

Best wishes,

(dm failure 30+, 508 2+)
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)