Re: [IPk] Talking of meters

>But being more aware of our levels means we can react to them more

But do we??? I reckon most people don't do anything intelligent with their
blood glucose or urine results. They just record it (truthfully if it's in
range, made up if not...) and show it to their doctor in 6 months time (if
your lucky).

I'm talking about the real world here, Di. Not an artificial world
inhabited by pump users seeking perfect BGs.

I never understood why urine testing was essentially withdrawn from the
repertoire. Does anyone here still test their urine glucose from time to
time? If you wake with a normal BG, but glucose in your urine, it confirms
something is happening overnight that could be improved on. The alternative
is to set you alarm for 3am every single night, and hope that at that
moment you just happen to catch your BG doing something naughty. Or just
check your morning urine glucose.

But isn't this the argument being used against intensive BG testing for
people on twice daily injections, or MDI? You end up with massive
information overload, and in practice people simply do not do anything
useful with that information. Better for the clinic to check your HbA1c,
discuss known hypo problems, and adjust your insulin accordingly?

>sounds like me too, and I'm a doctor too (but only of the PhD sort!)

No further comment ;-)

>For some, it's like our friend who enjoyed his
>life (wish I could remember his name). And for most of us, we try to
>find a blance in the middle somewhere.

Absolutely. Quality not quantity? Or both if possible?

Other reminiscences...

I remember "filling in" urine glucose record sheets for the last 6 months
when I was a kid, an hour before a trip to the clinic. I even used a
selection of different pencils and pens to lend it authenticity :-) I'm
sure no one else here ever did anything so dishonest...

I also remember in the late 1970s having a strip of blotting paper onto
which I would squeeze a drop of blood at set points during the day. I'd
drop it in at the clinic the next day, and from the 8 samples they would
calculate my BG profile for the day.

Anyone still got their blue box (again, late 1970s vintage) in which their
kit was kept? Glass syringe in spirit, insulin bottles, needles etc?

mailto:email @ redacted