Re: [IPk] Talking of meters

> Do we really have it any better? Or are we simply more aware of our
> failings, but still unable to do anything about it???

But being more aware of our levels means we can react to them more
easily. You have to admit it's easier to test your blood sugar sitting
on the bus than to do the old 5 drops of urine, 10 drops of water, bung
a Clinitest tablet in the test tube and watch it turn an exciting
colour! Now you can check your blood sugar on the bus and adjust your
insulin accordingly. In the old days you might wait till bedtime before
discovering you'd been high all day. Do that repeatedly and bingo,
welcome to complications.... SLightly extreme, but you get the idea.

>>I download, even though I'm hopeless at carb counting, I forget to dial a
>>bolus every so often even though the pump is attached to my ass, and I drink
>>too much even though I'm a doctor and should know better (my motto is 'people
>>with diabetes have a thirst for life'!). How can I advise people about their
>>own diabetes when my last HbA1c was 8.1 !! I test to live, not the other way
> Tony - I shocked - shocked!!! - to hear such a confession from a reputable
> man of medicine :-) You sound almost as bad as me, and I can only confess a
> Cambridge mathematics degree to my name ;-)
 > John

sounds like me too, and I'm a doctor too (but only of the PhD sort!)
I was trying to explain exactly this to my boyfriend the other day -
about how at the end of the day there's a fine line between keeping as
good control as you can, and still having a life and enjoying things.
And how in the past, the line for me was somewhat lower than it is now
(ie i was more in favour of having a good time than keeping good
control, though only at a subsconcious level. I never deliberately
thought "I don't care about good control or complications". But other
things seemed more important at the time). People automatically think
"why on earth would anyone NOT keep the best control they possibly
could?" And that's a natural reaction unless you've been in the
situation yourself, I think. There was a guy on another list whom some
of you may remember, who was in his 50s or so, had had type I for some
years, had terrible control, was totally blind and I think had one of
his legs amputated? Or certainly some major problem with his legs. He
died from complications a few years ago. But he died with a smile on his
face, and he always said he would never have lived his life any
differently even when he knew he was dying. He had a great life,
shortened though it was. I digress slightly, but the point is, everyone
has to choose their "line". For some, it's way up there and they'll
happily get up at 3am every single night to test their blood sugar,
record every morsel of food that passes their lips and every blood test
result they do, etc etc. For some, it's like our friend who enjoyed his
life (wish I could remember his name). And for most of us, we try to
find a blance in the middle somewhere.