Re: [IPk] Re: Highs

> I agree with that. Last night my partner woke me because she said I was
>sweating. She was asking me questions such as- what day is it? and other basic
>questions I should know the answer too. Apparently I answered these
>I vaugley remember struggling to know the answer to some questions. In the
>end I
>did my blood and it was 2.8 and the time was 3.45am. i corrected it with a
>of sugar puffs. I find it hard to believe that just because I have a hypo
>I end
>up with serious highs later in the morning. Obviously I need educating

Welcome to the complex, poorly understood world of diabetes, Julian :-)

I'd never heard of hypo-rebounds until I went on the pump about 6 years
ago. I'm not a doctor, and this is only my limited knowledge of the
situation - but when your BG goes low, it sets off a whole train of
defensive reactions inside the body. One is to make you feel hungry -
that's why some people empty the proverbial the fridge. The next reaction
is for the pancreas to release glucagon - that reverses whatever the
insulin is doing. Sadly in most people with diabetes, the glucagon
production packs up within about 2 years of diagnosis (varies from person
to person). Next step is the realease of adrenalin and other "nervous"
hormones into the blood. That causes the muscles and liver to release their
temporary stores of glucose (and also makes you sweat, get angry, beat up
the wife etc). In the midst of all this the brain loses thinking power -
but you don't notice it because you have lost thinking power. There are
further deeper reactions that I am only guessing at. The body increases its
insulin resistance, so after the hypo you need far more insulin to maintain
a normal BG. It may take the body a day, possibly longer, to settle back
down. This is the cause of hypo-rebound. All the defense mechanisms do not
switch off as soon as the BG rises, but rumble on for a while. And of
course, you may have eaten too much glucose or food to treat the hypo.

Do we need to know all this? Possibly not. But for others it is useful
information. Doctors have certainly never educated me about the metabolism
of hypoglycaemia. We are taught to eat food - preferably glucose - and wait
for the hypo to stop. Stephanie Amiel wrote in some recent hypo research
that *any* food passing throught the duodenum will switch off hypo
symptoms. I've not read the paper, but my thought was that eating sawdust
to treat a hypo is rather dangerous, since you'll still be hypo, but not
know it! And Edwin Gale estimated that every single night, one third of all
people with insulin-dependent diabetes will go hypo. We won't all know it -
most of us will sleep straight through, and wake maybe with a headache and
very high BG. It is keenly hoped that Lantus may help correct this dire

If anyone thinks I have said anything incorrect or stupid here, please say
so and I may retract it :-)

mailto:email @ redacted