Re: [IPk] How will I benefit with Lantus?

email @ redacted writes:

> Yes, you will have to bolus for every snack.  Or you may find that if
> you tend to eat about the same amount of food, day in, day out, that you
> can get away with either using a longer acting insulin, such as
> actrapid, to cover two or three snacks, or using more lantus.
> You wrote over a month ago - what did he say?

Hi Pat

Well, I started my lantus and Novorapid nearly 3 weeks ago now and I am only
just becoming stable.  After being stable for years on Actrapid and
 Insulatard, there are two things that have thrown things out. 1) I went onto
again the day I started the new regime and, 2) I am unsure yet what dose I

I am finding that I need more insulin for meals than I seemed to need before.
 For example, I do eat about the same each day but I used to be on 8 units of
Actrapid in the morning and 8 units of Insulatard and then only 2 of each at
night.  I was always in the range of 4 to 8 or 9 mmols and my HBA1c was 7.0
last time.  Now I find I am taking at least 4 units of Novorapid for each meal
and sometimes 6 units for my evening meal.  I need more at night by the looks
 of things. I am taking 6 units of lantus in the evening to see how I go on it.

I finished the steroids two days ago, so I will go by tomorrow's results to
 see if I need to change anything. I am finding this regime much better because
I have more freedom.

Diabetic for 30 years, just gone on lantus
Mum to Danielle aged 9, diagnosed Aug 2001, pumping since Nov 2002