[IPk] One Touch Ultra BG Meter

Hi everyone

I know that these meter companies give out meters to staff at hospitals
through their reps because they want to promote them and obviousy get the
benefit
from the massive costs of the strips, and I have heard people say that the
meters don't actually cost that much to make, but the companies make a lot of
profit on the strips, which I can agree with.  But......

I thought, "Well, let's get another one in this household because my daughter
and I use different machines and hers is better than mine" but when I rang
the company (Lifescan) I found them very hard to agree to replace the meter
that
Danielle has at school that is playing up at the moment.  I explained that
she has one at school and one at home, she tests up to 8 times per day some
days
and the machine at school is being temperamental.  The lady asked me to get
the machine in front of me and go through a few processes to see if we could
find what was up with it.  Well, we couldn't. I happened to mention that I use
meter too and I would like to use one of theirs so that we were all on the
same strips.  I thought she would gladly send us 2 machines, but NO. In the
end,
she sent me a reply-paid envelope to return the faulty machine and she sent
me a new machine but she made it clear that there would be NO NEW PEN, NO NEW
STRIPS, NO BOOKLETS OR ANYTHING, JUST THE ACTUAL LITTLE MACHINE IN A JIFFY BAG
and that's how it came.  I then said "Well, I do 6 tests a day myself, so I
would like one of your machines" and she made me an offer.  She let me have it
for #7.50 plus #2.50 postage and I am allowed to pass this on to people I know
with diabetes. So, ..........

If you have diabetes and you know me, you can give me your details and I am
then to phone her and you too could have a One Touch Ultra meter for #10.00
incl delivery.

She also told me that the pots of 25 strips DO ACTUALLY SELL TO THE
SURGERY/PHARMACY AT #25.00 PER POT.  I KNEW I WAS RIGHT - THAT'S #1.00 PER
BLOOD TEST.
DISGUSTING!  They should be giving at least half of this to Diabetes
Charities.  Sorry, but it's extortionate.

However, if you want a cheap machine and you don't get one from your Rep, let
me know.

Barbara
Type 1 for 30 years (Novorapid/Lantus)
Mum to Danielle aged 9, pumping