Re: [IPk] 6.30am Hypos

>Been waking up feeling cack for ages now!  Religiously done testing etc
>around the 3am mark, but never caught hypos.  However, two mornings now I've
>tested around 6.30 and had low a result in the low 3's!

Nick - I can offer sympathy, but no solutions.

I had a confusing occurence the other night. We'd been out to dinner with
friends. Much food and alcohol was consumed. Steve has dozens of brands of
pure malt whisky in his cupboard. You can picture the situation. About 10pm
we left. I had the big bike with the bike trailor with our two boys in it.
It was a 30 minute cycle home. 5am I woke up to go to the loo. Felt a bit
rough and cursed myself for not having drunk plenty of water before I went
to bed. Checked my BG - 8.0. Marginally on the high side, but I took no
correction being a cautious chap. 8am woke up for good. BG - 3.4. Hmmm. Has
my dawn effect dissappeared? Or had I just drunk too much alcohol? Can I
ever know? Anyhow, woke this morning with a BG of 3.4. So perhaps I should
cut my overnight basals a little.

I'm inclined to think it dropped from 8.0 directly to 3.4. But sod's law, I
bet you it didn't. Had it already peaked at 17 earlier in the night, and
was already crashing, to take me hypo at 7am, before rebounding to 3.4 by
8am, and then rebounding much higher later in the morning? These spot tests
make you think you know what's going on, but I suspect often we don't know
the truth.

Ooo... heard an interesting programme on the World Service last night -
Health Matters. They were discussing problems in developing new drugs. And
discussed - horror of horrors!! - that different people sometimes require
very different doses! They were interviewing some chap at a children's
cancer clinic in Britain, and he said they often have to review the dose of
anti-cancer drugs they are giving children after a few days or weeks, in
order to see if it needs altering - in order to hit that window where the
drug works properly. Too low a concentration, it doesn't work, too high and
there are side-effects.

And yet they never once mentioned Type 1 diabetes. A condition where the
concentration of the insulin in our blood hour by hour is absolutely
crucial to treatment our condition properly. There we are. Tough old world.

mailto:email @ redacted