Re: [IPk] Pump latest and thankyou

Daer Barbara and John,

I am almost as out of sinc as the mail servers at the moment - I sent an
addendum to this half-finished email before sending this one!  So now I
will edit what I originally wrote ....

>In a message dated 09/10/2003 22:05:43 GMT Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
>> 100 people using Minimed, and 18 like it, and 72 don't
>Hi John
>I know you didn't initially write this about the Minimed pump, but I find it
>hard to believe that only 18 out of a 100 people liked it.  We have the
 > Minimed and quite honestly can't find anything about that we don't like. It
 > pump and it does what it says in the manual and that's that. Which pump do
>have by the way?

Hi Barbara,

I'm the one that wrote it.  I don't like:
the really awful remote (I can't hear it - why doesn't it have a
the lousy customer service
the way there are only 3 basal patternes and a constant temp basal, not
a variable basal (up or down by a percentage)
the way that it has to be manually set (when you hear that I have 12
different rates, you will understand why manually resetting takes
considerable time! - why can't it be set from a computer via infrared?

But as I also said in that email: those are little 'don't likes'
compared with the huge big 'likes'.

John asks:
Why would that be interesting? If 8 out of 10 people prefer Ford
does that imply everyone should drive a Ford Fiesta? I don't think so.

Understanding of what features (or lack of them) can cause problems will
be of use to new pumpers who do not have sufficient knowledge about
features (why should they) and those who should be advising them (and
should have the knowledge).  For example, 8 of 10 people prefer the Ford
Fiesta, and say they like it over all other cars because it is easy to
park.  2 out of 10 loath it, and half of them say that's because it is
very noisy.  So someone looking at buying a new car should think 'do I
find parking difficult?' and 'how important to me is a quiet ride?'.
That should give them a guide as to whether test-driving a Fiesta is a
good idea.

Sadly, with pumps we don't have the consumer choice we do with cars.
The choice is made by the health care professional on some whim, not on
the basis of scientific study.

If, for example, of the 20% of the 15% of people who hate a particular
model because it has a small character display compared with other
models, the health care professional can look at the visual acuity of
the patient, and steer them to a model that has a clearer display if
there is likely to be a problem (it has to be a proper sight test, not
asking the patient if they can read the display in the clinic - we are
talking about the ability to read it by the backlight in total darkness,
in glaring sunlight, etc.  Similarly 'can you hear it?' is a hearing
test - I can hear my pump in a clinic, but not in an aircraft, or in a
party (and I don't _think_ I have any hearing loss - do other people
have this problem???).

Until one has used a pump for a while the crucial bits (legibility,
audibility, dexterity needed to programme, match of features to blood
glucose needs) and the aesthetic bits (style of buttons, can it play
tunes?) are not apparent.  They are only things to hate for those who
find them problems, and for many of us, we didn't even know that we
would have that problem, pre pump.

(dm 30+, 508 2+, editor-in-waiting for 'What Pump?' magazine
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)