Re: [IPk] Dentist drama

On Sunday 12 Oct 2003 23:17, Adrian Miller wrote:
> I think the most common problem is gum disease / gum erosion. The bacteria
> in the mouth flourish better with higher blood sugars.

This is how I understand it too. I asked my dentist this specific question.
He's a good guy, and his wife is a type 1 diabetic, so he's quite informed
about diabetes in general. He told me that gingivitis is the dental problem
which affects diabetics the most (and I suffer from it very badly). He
explained that it's down to the sugar content of the mouth, especially during
the night, and instructed me to make sure that I clean my teeth thoroughly
before bed to reduce the risk.