Re: [IPk] Pump latest and thankyou

>I've been advised by someone working for Disetronic that the situation
>regarding their pumps in USA/Canada is that some paperwork wasn't being
>completed at the right stage in the manufacturing process, according to the
>US/Canadian authorities. (That said, there had been no change from what had
>happened in the past, and the relevant authorities were happy enough then.)
>There is no safety issue with the pumps themselves.
>My understanding of the situation in the UK is that pump manufacturers must
>reach certain standards before being granted a license to sell in the UK. It
>would appear that other pump companies are not prepared to apply for the
>license for some reason. (I would add that I know some diabetics in the US
>personally and they were amazed that I had a choice of pumps.  Pumps from
>only one company were available at the Diabetes Centre they attend. Perhaps
>some of the companies who sell in the US would be looking for an equally
>"exclusive" arrangement over here. While we may have problems with the NHS,
>thank goodness we do not have to endure these "exclusive" benefits to the
>degree they do in the States.)

Thanks for that, Graham.

Pump choice indeed a very personal thing. After all, you'll spend more
intimate moments with your pump than you will with a husband or wife!

I have recently heard, incidently, that Animas are planning to enter the UK
market. When it happens, I've no doubt we shall hear about it. Till then
it's just Disetronic (who are owned by Roche) and MiniMed (who are owned by

PS Ray Morrissey at AMT sends his best regards to everyone here who
remembers him. His company is doing very nicely supplying infusion pumps
that supply other drugs - not insulin - to the body. And are about to
launch some other innovative products.

mailto:email @ redacted