[IPk] Re: Tenders/Silhouettes vs Sofsets and ways of inserting them, was Mysterious occurrence.... any explanations ?

Heh, I'm the complete reverse. I am rather needle-phobic (yep, even after
almost 35 years of this, at least 30 of which I have spent injecting
myself) and can't watch needles entering skin *at all*. I also hate slow
needles, so I love using the Sofsets and the Sofserter. My adventures with
Tenders (manually inserted) were dreadful. I would end up shaking and
sweating once I had that very long needle in, as an adrenaline release hit
me - and I had one of them completely kink and send me into mild DKA for an
entire weekend (with BGs as low as 7.0 for a number of hours during the
weekend). I wasn't sorry to finish using the ones a friend had lent me to
"try them out".

I'm currently using Baxter Sub-Q sets which are very similar to Rapids,
which I don't have too many problems with (and I am using them purely as a
cost-saver. Over here I can get these for 50c/pop as compared to $15 each
for Sofsets - until they hit private health insurance, which is imminent.
Medtronic are negotiating with insurers for coverage as I type). I think it
must have something to do with the fact that i used these sorts of sets for
17 years, but with a much smaller gauge and a longer needle, so these are
relatively easy. I just aim, look away, and push!

It's funny how we all have different preferences for needle type, insertion
methods etc. Helps make the world more interesting :)