RE: [IPk] Just started Lantus

I have just recently got a pump.It seems to be queit a long and painful
process, in the end I brought my own.But I am now progressing the system
to try and get some funding!!! If you go to the "Diabetes.org.uk "web
site there is some guidance on getting in touch with your local
PCT(Primary Care Trust).There is then a process to follow which I am just
starting now, so soon as I found anymore I will let you know.I used to
use lanctus and Novarapid, but have changed to a pump,,only been on it
for 12 days but fell so much better already.

good luck  cheers Tony

>From: "Adrian Miller" >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To:
>Subject: RE: [IPk] Just started Lantus >Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:34:29
+0100 > >Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible
contributions. >Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2 per
month is >needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve you and
the rest >of the diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >Hi > >I started on Lantus
and Novorapid last Friday. It appears to work well for >me during the day
- I get really stable blood sugar levels mostly in the >range 4-8 mmol.
First night was pretty bad with a low at about 1am - so >reduced the
Lantus the following night by 2 units to 24 units which seems to >have
conquered that problem but I still have an enormous spike in the first
>thing in the morning round about 17mmol sometimes even higher although
it is >slightly lower than the spike I had with Insulatard. I am still
convinced >the only solution will be a pump but it seems hard work
convincing my >Consultant who is very pro Lantus. He told me at my last
consultation that >if the Lantus/Novorapid solution worked then it was a
good indicator that a >Pump would be a good solution (leaving me more
than slightly confused!). >I guess so far I have been lucky with my
diabetes in that I have only one >complication - a frozen shoulder -
which has been getting progressively >better almost in parallel with the
improvements in my blood glucose >control - however like my blood glucose
level improvements its improvement >has plateaud - the Consultant
Rheumatologist thinks they are directly linked >(sadly at a different
hospital in North London), if any body can give me any >advice on how to
progress getting a Pump I would be really grateful. > >Adrian Miller >