Re: [IPk] Just started Lantus

I started Lantus about 3 weeks ago and am doing great.  I never
understood why I couldn't get predictable levels with Actrapid and
Insulatard, particularly in the morning - but now with 17 units of
Lantus taken at bedtime I unfailingly get reasonable fasting levels,
normally around 5.  I think I had an 8 one day.  That was as high as it
went.  Before it used to regularly be 10 or 12 and I'd have to take
extra Actrapid for breakfast.

It goes on well throughout the day, except that the bedtime levels are
less predictable - but still not too bad, so I expect it's a matter of
fine tuning.  The Lantus isn't entirely even - I walk to work and the
exercise seems to give me a surge that stops me peaking after
breakfast, which is great.  I still get high peaks after lunch - mid to
high teens - but I have learned not to correct them, since if I do, I
go hypo later.  They correct themselves before long.  I should probably
go for a walk after lunch but there's always something else I want to
do (and who wants to walk on an industrial estate anyway?).

Barbara, what's the Optiset like to use?  I got prescribed an Autopen,
which disappointed me as it's inferior to the Novopens I've been using
- flimsy construction, no chance to correct errors, and the one I
originally got prescribed doesn't do odd numbers of units (I made sure
I got a spare that does, so I can now take 17).  But it does the job
and uses the same needles as my other pens.