RE: [IPk] Just started Lantus

 What time of day do you take Lantus? I assume that it's at night from what you
say, but at what time?.
 Lantus does have a peak for some people and is no means as "flat" as Aventis
would have us believe. You
 could try taking it earlier so that the peak, where you have a tendency to drop
low, occurs at a "better"
 time, with a meal for instance. If you take it late in the evening try taking
it much sooner after the
 evening meal. Some people (many people) find that Lantus does not last 24 hours
and tend to take it
 between 6 pm and 10pm (at the same time each day, whatever time you choose)
that way you can adjust your
 short acting insulin to "cover" any missing lantus or give less Novo because of
the drop from Lantus.

 It sounds as though you cant really drop the dose much lower as you will be too
high in the morning. It
does take about 3 days for any adjustments in doses to settle down.

 The thing is, if you need different basal rates, which most people do, then a
pump is going to be the
best solution.

  Unfortunately our consultant thinks pumps are horrendously dangerous and wont
let us have a trial.

Mum of Sasha aged 9