Re: [IPk] Mysterious occurrence.... any explanations ?

email @ redacted writes:

> The cannula was flapping around in the air and the patch was firmly in
> place
> where it had been since the site change on Thursday evening.
> I changed sets and bolused - heavily for me i.e. two separate lots of 4
> units - then my bgs started down and I didn't hypo.
> This morning back to more usual and healthy 5.4mmol/l.
> Anyone else had this happen?  And out of curiosity, how could it?!!!

Hiya Rhoda

Danielle went onto the pump the same week as you - remember?  Well we once
were shocked to find that the plaster was still intact and the cannula was
 dangling. This was when she got it caught on her climbing frame without
 You can catch the tubing on door handles and it can slip out without you
 feeling it. You must ensure that the tubing is always out of the way. I have to
keep tucking Danielle's away.  It has only happened once though.

I think now that you have noticed this, you will be more aware of it.  Don't
forget, the plaster bit has a hole in it just the size of the cannula
 insertion bit and it can slip through the hole if you have a tug. Sometimes it
a few tugs and you can get away with it, so it's worth just checking
 periodically that everything is still intact. I do this with Danielle on a
 basis. I ask her to let me see the insertion site to make sure it is intact and
that it is not red.

Bye for now.
Type 1 for 30 years, just starting Lantus
Mum to Danielle aged 9, now pumping