Re: [IPk] Carpal tunnel syndrome, aches and pains

>As a gatekeeper to the NHS, a GP's job is (or should be) to hear your
>niggling moans, and spot if there is something more serious going on that
>needs further investigation.

Which reminds me, my last UK GP was a chap called Mark OConnor, at a
practice in Long Ashton, just outside Bristol. We got on very well, and he
disclosed to me that he reckons he saves about 1 life a year directly
through his work in the surgery. Trouble is, you don't know who that one
patient is without hearing the moans and ramblings of all the other 9,999
patients. Food for thought.

This is the same GP to whom I once emailed a prescription request (for
insulin, test strips etc). Apparently my email is now recorded in the
practice archives as the first example of a patient ordering a prescription
by email!!! I don't know whether to be chuffed, or embarrassed at how
unusual I am :-)

My other claim to fame is that a predecessor of Mark OConnor failed to
diagnose my diabetes in 1976. I arrived at the surgery in Nov displaying
all the classic symptoms - weight loss, thirst, persistant urination. He
recommended bed rest till I felt better. My parents diagnosed my diabetes
themselves the following Feb. He was later dismissed, and mine was one of
the cases at the dismissal hearing.

mailto:email @ redacted