Re: [IPk] diabetes and siblings - any risk?

Hi all, Pitching in with family autoimmunity - My Dad has coeliac, his
brother has pernicious anaemia and his sister has thyroid problems.  Nice
triple whammy there.  I have the diabetes and the parietal cell
antibodies, which may or may not end up as pernicious anaemia when I'm
older.  No doubt abut my paternity then! Katharine > >Eleanor, > >I
reckon you are on to something - my paternal grandmother had >rheumatoid
arthritis, another autoimmune disease. Noone else in my >family has
diabetes, although I think my dad is getting some >arthritis in his knees
now..... > >Ciario, > > >Ingrid > > >>From: Eleanor Joslin >>Reply-To:
email @ redacted >>To: email @ redacted >>Subject: Re:
[IPk] diabetes and siblings - any risk? >>Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:54:50
+0100 (BST) >> >>Insulin Pumpers is made possible by your tax deductible
>>contributions. >>Your donation of $10, $25, or more... just $1 or $2
per month is >>needed so that Insulin Pumpers can continue to serve you
and the >>rest >>of the diabetes community. Please visit: >> >>
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml >> >>Your annual contribution
will eliminate this header from your IP >>mail >> >>When I was diagnosed
last year - the first diabetic in my family >>that I >>know of - a doctor
suggested that my grandmother's hypothyroidism >>might >>have had
something to do with it. Underactive thyroid is another >>autoimmune
disorder - the theory, I believe, is that I inherited a >>vulnerability
to autoimmune diseases but not the specific disease. >>Then >>something,
probably a virus, triggered my immune system to attack >>my beta >>cells.