Re: [IPk] diabetes and siblings - any risk?

When I was diagnosed last year - the first diabetic in my family that I
know of - a doctor suggested that my grandmother's hypothyroidism might
have had something to do with it.  Underactive thyroid is another
autoimmune disorder - the theory, I believe, is that I inherited a
vulnerability to autoimmune diseases but not the specific disease.  Then
something, probably a virus, triggered my immune system to attack my beta

If that's so, I guess my dad has the gene too, but he's fine.  Although my
grandmother was fine too until she reached her 70s.

I have no plans for kids at the moment (I'd like one but who would the
father be?) but if I ever do, I won't let diabetes stop me.