Re: [IPk] rant

I'm busy educating the other med students in my year (and some doctors
too). The good thing about med students is that they are willing to ask
what it is that I'm wired up to, what it does, how it works and what the
benefits are. Doctors on the whole are a lot less willing to learn (except
the anaesthetist I was with on Mon who grilled me for about 20mins!). Our
formal diabetes education as students consisted of one Sat morning. 30min
lecture then a chat with someone with Type II and every complication under
the sun then testing our BGs and injection ourselves with saline (I
appreciated that one!). I think actually it was all just vastly
oversimplified and wasn't hugely impressed! Fine as an intro but not as the
total of our education. You learn a bit more sitting in on diabetes clinics
but they are so overbooked with patients even this is pretty limited. Of
course, there was no mention of pumps, but given the total no of people on
pumps in this area is now 6 (and wasn't even that many a year ago when we
had the lecture morning) it's hardly suprising. Still, I doing my best :)
Sarah DM 7y, 508 9months