Re: [IPk] diabetes and siblings - any risk?

Hi Jo

There are a lot of studies around examining incidence of  type 1 diabetes,
most of which have found the highest risk occurs when both parents have it,
or if the father has it.

There is a very detailed and somewhat complicating study at
http://www.science.co.il/aaron/Autoimmune-Diseases-Diabetes.pdf and at the
Joslin site (http://www.joslin.harvard.edu/education/library/risk.shtml)
they say:

# If an immediate relative (parent, brother, sister, son or daughter) has
type 1 diabetes, one's risk of developing type 1 is 10 to 20 times the risk
of the general population; your risk can go from 1 in 100 to roughly 1 in
10 or possibly higher, depending on which family member has the diabetes
and when they developed it.
# If one child in a family has type 1, their siblings have about a 1 in 10
risk of developing it by age 50.
# The risk for a child of a parent with type 1 diabetes is lower if it is
the mother  rather than the father  who has diabetes. "If the father has
it, the risk is about 1 in 10 (10 percent) that his child will develop type
1  the same as the risk to a sibling of an affected child," Dr. Warram
says. On the other hand, if the mother has type 1 and is age 25 or younger
when the child is born, the risk is reduced to 1 in 25 (4 percent) and if
the mother is over age 25, the risk drops to 1 in 100  virtually the same
as the average American.
# If one of the parents developed type 1 before age 11, their child's risk
of developing type 1 diabetes is somewhat higher than these figures and
lower if the parent was diagnosed after their 11th birthday.
# About 1 in 7 people with type 1 has a condition known as type 2
polyglandular autoimmune syndrome. In addition to type 1 diabetes, these
people have thyroid disease, malfunctioning adrenal glands and sometimes
other immune disorders. For those with this syndrome, the child's risk of
having the syndrome, including type 1 diabetes, is 1 in 2, according to the
American Diabetes Association (ADA).

Hope that helps you to make a decision.