RE: [IPk] rant (rationing of strips?!?)

Well done, the rant was certainly needed.

  I am having battles with the PCT for Cheltenham and Tewkesbury. Who are
setting new guidelines for GP's
in Gloucestershire.

 I had started going along to a newly re started DUK voluntary group. Recently
the group, which is small,
 mostly attended by a few people who have type 2 diabetes or LADA, were
contacted by a GP who is on the
 committee of the PCT. He came to give a talk. Apparently its been decided to
change the guidelines
 and is now recommending that strips and meters are no longer going to be given
to type 2's unless on
 insulin. Or for special reasons. They are saying that it is not necessary and
that they suggest
 testing only ONCE or twice a WEEK, if at all! (their words exactly on print in
front of me) and this is
 for those who have long standing diabetes. Newly diagnosed people wont be given
meters and will be
 advised NOT to buy them FOR LONG TERM USE AT NHS EXPENSE. They go on to say
that the blood tests don't
 provide Drs, Nurses etc with any useful data and they will rely on the HbA1c to
advise on healthy eating
 and treatment with tablets. I was horrified we were shown the final draft and
wrote and said what I
 thought. I know that lots of people with type 2 who rely a lot on blood tests.
I also am worried that
 while they are talking about people with type 2 at the moment the next thing
will be limiting strips for
 type 1s. I also think that it make some people think that the condition is not
very serious.

 Steven Sexton has also mentioned that there have been similar decisions about
strips going on in the area
where he lives.

 I am really worried that it will effect people with type 1 and that strips will
be rationed to all with
diabetes eventually.

 By the way, can anyone tell me how much a box of BD fine needles cost and
lancets? Or how much per
needle?  We reuse these a lot,  I wonder how much we save doing this.

 Its awful to think that some of the people we rely on to help us with diabetes,
are so ignorant about the
 condition. Why on earth would people be testing their blood sugars if they
didn't feel the need.

Mum of Sasha