Re: [IPk] diabetes and siblings - any risk?

Please don't forget - Type 1 diabetes is the end result. It is not what
*caused* the pancreas to stop producing insulin. I read somewhere someone
had suggested 28 different reasons the pancreas might give up producing
insulin. Perhaps there are more - perhaps less - reasons. Sometimes it is
inherited. Usually it isn't. 5% seems to be the standard figure - 5% of
people it's "in the family" - parent/child or brother/sister or everyone.
The other 95% of cases it just happens out of the blue. Why we may never
know. I know of no one else in my family who had or might of had diabetes.
My great grandfather died of pneumonia in the prime of life in 1920. Was
that Type 1 diabetes? Who knows? But I am very happy with my life, and I am
very grateful the family didn't give up having children "in case" one of
them had diabetes.

mailto:email @ redacted