Re: [IPk] diabetes and siblings - any risk?

Jo . There is no history of DM in our family. I was diagnosed @ 3 and my
brother @ 9 ie 10 yrs later.I have 2 grown up sons neither of whom developed
DM. I would agree wholeheartedly with John's sentiments, if you decide to go
along with your husband's feelings and Sam learns the reason why he has no
Sam was unusually young to have developed the disease I cannot remember the
optimum age at onset for childhood diabetes but if Sam had been older at
onset you could already have had another child anyway. It is very unusual
for siblings to develop the condition and it would be a shame to let this
influence your decision.
I do hope that whatever decision you make it is right for both of you
PS my eldest is 23 now and I probably psychologically damaged him by
counting the drinks he drank as a toddler, not letting him eat sweet things
in case he became diabetic but it all seems to have washed over his head and
he has a very sweet tooth!