Re: [IPk] diabetes and siblings - any risk?

> Hi all,
> I am in a bit of a dilemma, and I am also looking for some advice.
> As some of you on this list know, I have a son Sam (4=) who has been
> diabetic since he was 17mths old.
> My husband and I have been talking about having another baby, but we
> are concerned about the risks of the baby going on to develop
> diabetes like Sam. We have no history of diabetes in our family.
> My husband is so concerned about it, he is very reluctant to have
> anymore children, whereas, I am ok with the situation.
> I was wondering if any of you had a first child with diabetes, and
> have gone on to have more children without problem? and what are the
> risks?
> Some feedback would be much appreciated.  I really dont know what to
> do.

The risks are statistical only, not genetic. For non-twin siblings it
is about 5%. I have 5 kids, one has diabetes. My wife has another
child by a previous marrige (3 grand kids now) and no diabetes. None
of our other family members on either side of the family have type 1
though I do have some distant relatives with type 2.