Re: [IPk] Pump funding

In message <000e01c3878e$507497f0$email @ redacted>, Graham Ford
<email @ redacted> writes
>Let me assure you of something here: the only time a Finance
>Department holds things up is if a Diabetes Department recommends funding
>but doesn't have money in their budget to meet that commitment. By statute,
>a Board or Trust is not allowed to overspend, so a Finance Department
>obviously has to ensure that spending is kept within budget. (Yes, I know
>Boards and Trusts have overspent. But they have to get permission to do so,
>and make good the loss within a fixed period, so services in future years do
>suffer. And, normally, senior staff will have lost their jobs.)

This is the same problem as the mother who tells a child that she has
'no money' for ice-cream when she has money in her purse.  It is not
that there is 'no budget', but that money is spent on / committed to
things which are given higher priority than funding pumps.

As with the parent, hard choices have to be made in setting the budget.
I am concerned that this is not done transparently (how did I get to
have a say on where my money should be spent?).

I'm not blaming the messenger here - you don't set the budget!

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 2+)

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)