RE: [IPk] Re: Steve Miles' daughter

Hi Barbara
>From the short time I have been reading the correspondence from your group I
can see that to succeed with insulin pumps you have to be committed to
controlling your diabetes. In the case of my daughter who is now 20 years
old and was diagnosed when she was 11, I don't think that she has reached
that defining moment when 'enough is enough'. I belive that with more
regular testing she could get better control. My problem is the loss of
influence I now have as she lives away from home. Also being a district
nurse I am very much aware of the possible problems which can result later
in life.
One question you may be able to shed some light on is whether problems with
temperature control is something anyone else has, or did suffer with. She
can be sweating one minute then cold the next whatever the weather. It is
not unusual for her to have to change clothes regularly during the day. She
has had her thyroid function checked out and that is fine.
 Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On
Behalf Of email @ redacted
Sent: 30 October 2002 22:05
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Re: Steve Miles' daughter

In a message dated 30/10/2002 14:02:04 GMT Standard Time, email @ redacted
writes:

> My name is Steve Miles. I am a district nurse and also have a 20 year old
> daughter with diabetes. I want to find out all I can to help her get some
> control back in her life.

Hello Steve

How long has your daughter been diabetic?  I would imagine from your message
that she is fairly newly diagnosed and out of control or not properly
settled
yet.

I have been diabetic for 29 years with no problems and I am on insulin
injections.  My daughter aged 8 was diagnosed a year ago and is just about
come off injections and start a pump trial.  Her blood sugars have never
been
stable so we are trying this method in the hope that it brings back quality
of life and changes her moods!  Is this something your daughter suffers with
or you for that matter?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Barbara W