[IPk] Re: Monitoring

Heather Bowler wrote: Sorry, I'm on a rant.I'll stop.  But seriously, we're
strong group of
 people, what can we do?

Heather B: I'm so sorry that you're going through all this too.  As a
psychologist, I've lost times of the number of times at DM clinics with
various staff there, who have told me I'm obsessed/neurotic/paranoid
over my DM and management.  I find it hard to see how I could be dxed
with all 3 psych. disorders simultaneously!

I'd love to have doctors/nurses/dietitians etc spend a weekend - no
more - following a testing/dietary/exercise regime they expect patients
and their families to comply with.  In a couple of studies where they've
done this, few survive the course!

Why am I not surprised?!

When anyone is foolish enough to tell me now any of the above, I ask
them how they would advise me to monitor, evaluate, and adjust my
insulin/dietary etc regime without frequent tests.  They usually have
nothing but waffle as a response.

I also ask them about the St Vincent Declaration, DCCT etc and
frighteningly often they've not heard of this.  Not so much in DM clinics
but definitely in medical and surgical wards.

My GPs are great and will authorise any amount of strips and I have 2
different kinds for my back-up meter as well as usual one.

I would like to see some input at training days for medical/nursing etc
staff, from DMers including pumpers.

I suspect that those of us who have done the MDI route and self-
empowerment/education are in the minority of DMers.  I have not found
DUK particularly helpful in encouraging this but recently I detect some
change in this stand.

I also wish, since I'm talking fantasy land here, that C peptide tests
were done here to check on insulin resistance.  I'm sure I have
developed this over the years and am one of those people who have
bloated and gained massive amount of weight on insulin.  At a recent
clinic (medical not DM) hospital appointment, the registrar told me I was
carrying between 48-55 lbs of water in fluid retention!!!!

Hopefully the pump and better control with reduced insulin doses will
help this.

Bit of a scattered response, but hey I have a painter in doing work in my
tiny flat and it's just me <g>