Re: [IPk] carb counting, basal bolus regimens

When I was first introduced to it (having been
> practising it for several years), I was told 'you can skip meals', which
> is the true test that the basal is correctly set.
Sounds like at least your clinic is abit more progressive than mine was
I sometimes read clinic letters berating patient x's lack of control,
emphasising "the importance of regular insulin and regular diet", after the
introductory sentence explains that patient x is on the " basal bolus"
. So many letters state that" morning BG is always high" and "I have
therefore advised him to increase his evening insulatard by 2 units at a
time until he brings it below 10" that it does make me wonder about the
sanity of the average patient with DM as there is never any mention in
clinic letters of nocturnal hypos or occasional low BG first thing in the
morning. Perhaps they just feel too embarassed to admit they are having
hypos as well or are afraid that clinic won't believe them ( remembering
that people on this list have said in the past that they were more or less
accused of lying about having hypos)