Re: [IPk] carb counting, basal bolus regimens

In message <001201c27ffd$598161a0$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>I think a major issue here is that many people who are on what is known as "
>basal bolus" are infact effectively not much better off than mixtard as they
>just have the total dose split into 4 and their basal ie intermediate/ long
>insulin only constitutes about one quarter of the dose.

Some may do - I was experimenting with my basal, and found that 10 of
long acting, plus an additional 3 units of H in the morning worked best,
but my doctor thought since I was high so often, going for 14 or 15
long-acting was best.

Now I'm on a pump, what do I have currently 11 'exercising', 14 'normal'
and 17 'sick'.  The basal forms around 50% of total insulin.

People are 'not much better off than mixtard' if they are told that they
_should_ inject so much of the bolus insulin and _should_ eat so many
grams CHO (or, worse, should eat 'a healthy diet').  True basal/bolus
regimes are trying to get the basal to cover the basal, and boluses to
cover only what's eaten.  When I was first introduced to it (having been
practising it for several years), I was told 'you can skip meals', which
is the true test that the basal is correctly set.

With best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+_
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)