Re: [IPk] Ray Jordan

Dear Ray,

>To date i haven't had an hypo although i have experienced several near

Different people define 'a hypo' differently.  For most people (and most
doesn't mean right - just what most people will assume, seeing the world
'hypo'), it means any bg reading below 4 (whole blood).  It's a wee bit
higher with plasma. 4.2 or some such.

If you are saying that in six months you have not once measured your bg
at lower than 4, than you can definitely take dropping it, overall, a

Other people define 'hypo' as 'low bg needing outside assistance' or
'loss of consciousness resulting from low bg' - and I am NOT suggesting
that either of those should occur.  But the kind of bg below 4, where
you know you are going low, measure and treat, and come out and within
15 mins are back at the computer or whatever - that kind of hypo is the
bi-product of good control, and come from the vagaries of exercise, the
clock changes, etc.

How frequent is too frequent for those hypos is another question. Some
people are happy with a near-daily occurrence.  I don't like them more
than once a week.

The hypos which mdi and pumps in particular are good at removing are the
'long lows' where your bg dips down to 3 or so and stays there, no
matter how many glucose tablets you eat.  Stays down for over half an
hour.  This has happened only twice in an unexplained manner since I've
been on the pump (and once explainable - I'd completely got the basals
on the pump wrong after reprograming it many times over several days),
much less than on mdi.

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 1+
Pat Reynolds