RE: [IPk] Re: Charlie's pump

Of course I can't advise on what it's like to have to put a set into someone
else, but having worked out the other day that I've put at least 600 of them
into myself, I remember injections being more traumatic on a regular basis
than sets have been. That I might hit a blood vessel and have blood welling
up from my thigh was always a concern when I injected into my leg. Also bad
was accidentally injecting into scar tissue (rather than just subcutaneous
fat) in my abdomen and having my insulin simply not work for several hours,
but not being free to correct because the insulin *might* work later. Only a
few times in the past few years have I really been frustrated trying to
insert a set--mostly when I've been ill, so that my skin's felt sensitive,
and I've had muscle aches too (which happens to all of us occasionally,
being human). In those cases, I've had to persevere and think, 'My pump does
me too much good for me just to give up', take a few deep breaths, and go
back to choosing a site.

When I was scared to insert a Silhouette for the first time ('cause I'd
started on Sof-sets), I told myself, 'I have to do this once about every
three days, but I had to give myself injections at least three times a day
for a couple of years. Surely I can handle this!' Until I got used to the
sets, the positive self-talk was very good. I had to psych myself up, but
once I got a set in I could bask in a little pride in having done it.

Knowing that I have the 'guts' to do something for my health, well-being,
and quality of life that other people (i.e., people without diabete) might
find too scary has increased my courage in many situations. Given all the
stuff one has to know and do, one could demonstrate professional competence
and desirable character traits in lots of areas by achieving good diabetes
control! (Not that I would risk putting that I have diabetes on my c.v., but
that's another topic...).

IDDM 8+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.