[IPk] NICE and funding

Thanks for the mail re NICE. I was quoting exactly what Dr Smith at Lancaster
told me last week. He said there was absolutely no question of the NHS
funding the actual pumps in the near future and that NICE were not looking at
this option. He said that NICE were only looking at the 'extra's' involved
such as giving sets, needles etc., and the patient would be expected to pay
for the actual pump. He also said that the insulin was the only thing that
was already available on the NHS. I stated that other health authorities were
funding pumps and he said ours, (Morecambe Bay), will only do it in extreme
cases, as in the patient allergic to all types of insulin. We do seem to be
years behind in the care and treatment recd. here, though. I found out I'm
the first person to be put on the new Lantus regimen! I only saw Dr Smith as
there was no consultant here in Barrow.
I will contact John about this at some point but I have a lot of other health
issues going on right now so am happy for the time to try the new insulin.
Thanks again...